Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Grandma Potholder Tutorial Part1

Grandma Potholder Tutorial...

This tutorial will be in two parts...
Just to spread out the amount of pictures
and to give you a bit of time to work through it...

The potholder has a foundation...
This is what you will add your ruffles too...
It is very easy as it is made up of chains and dc(sc)
and the very odd Treble(dc) here and there...

Your ruffles will be crocheted on in Part 2...
I have a back to my potholder as well
but I will be just giving written instructions for this
as some might fine it easy to omit
and just have it without one...

I have used some gorgeous yarn for this project...
Debbie Stoller by Stitch Nation
I am using
Bamboo Ewe...
and
Full-o-Sheep
Which would be a 8ply...
and a 3.5mm crochet hook...
All instructions are in English crochet and
American convertions are in Brackets( )...
There are lots of pictures and if I need to I will add some notes below
if the step needs further clarifying...
I do hope you give it a try as ruffles are so gorgeous!!!




Now this first group of dc(sc) I have not called a round...
It is more a starting point to your first round...
The first round is below...



The last treble(dc) is so you start your next round
at the top of the loop...not the bottom...
First Round finished...




Second Round finished...




This last step is so you start your next round at the top of the loop...

Third Round finished...


This round was a bit hard to see
but it is just the same as the second round...


Four Row Finished...


This round we are doing one big loop
two loops close together..
Like below...



Just to explain this step again...
3 chain then 1 treble(dc) in the last dc(sc)
This is so you start your next round at the top of the loop...

Fifth Round Finished...



This round is the same as the second and fourth...



Sixth Round Finished...


This round is the same as the
Fifth...


Seventh Round finished...


This last row is the same as the previous round 2,4,6...


Eighth Round Finished...


Just make a loop to hang your potholder from...
about 12 chain or so...
Now the base is finished...
Yeah!!!
You did it...I knew you could...
Now in the next tutorial
the ruffles will be added...
They will go over the
first round
third round
fifth round
and seventh round...
You will have four lovely ruffles in total...

To go to part 2
The link will be added
HERE...

4 comments:

concretenprimroses said...

this looks like a very well thought out tute! I love the look of the finished potholder. I will try it when its all here.
thanks!
Kathy

Ray Kern said...

I love the design
I am a newbie.
I notice abbreviations in parenthesis after some stitches. What do these mean?

Courtney Short said...

that is so pretty.. and adds depth and dimension to the flat piece.. LOVE IT!!

Karen Williams said...

I found your awesome blog via a couple of other blogs. I love your ruffly pot holder! I want to give it a try next year after I finish up some WIPs. Thanks for posting such great detailed instructions!