Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Grandma Potholder Tutorial Part2

Grandma Potholder Tutorial Part 2...


Oh a ruffling we shall go...
In this project we have four rows of ruffles
as I mentioned in part 1...
The ruffles need a base to be crocheted onto
and the trebles(dc) sit sticking up on these base rows...
This seems to be very hard to photograph but I do hope you can follow...
To do these ruffles you need to hold your work and
maneuver around the chain loops quite a bit...
Sometimes it is easier to do a group of trebles on the chain loop
then put your work flat so you can see where the next group
has to go...
You work in a zig-zap pattern up and down the chains...
and jump over the dc(sc) that you made in the row above or below...
you might think this leaves gaps...but it really doesn't...
You will have a nice ruffle when you are finished...

Now if you find that the amount of trebles on each sections is
to crammed only do 4 trebles(dc)...
If you have to much room you can add a treble(dc)...
I like to do 5 but that is my tension...
and don't forget to start each row by doing a
slip stitch and 3 chain...this is your first treble(dc)...

If you find that the pictures for one of the rows
hard to understand just remember all the ruffles are done in the same way...
So going down the page and finding a clearer picture could help...
So without further hype here goes...
and please e-mail me if you have any problems...
I will be happy to help...
PS... just had to do some pink fluro pointers!!!



The 3 chain is your first treble(dc)
to start all the ruffles...




To go up the other side you will need to maneuver word around again...
and so forth...



First ruffle finished...
Sorry that that round of yarn matched the foundation...
The next colour could help...




Second round finished...


Third round finished...




After looking through these pics I do hope you can follow...
I think maybe I should have added some more?
Basically the ruffle go on the first, third, fifth, and seven row...
of the foundation...


Now with the move I have gone and lost the piece of paper
with what I wrote down the instructions on so I am winging it a bit but
I think it is right...
You can omit this if you want but it is fairly easy...

Chain 6.Join with a slip stitch.
Round 1...3 chain,15 treble(dc) into circle.join with a slip stitch.

Round 2...3 chain,1 treble(dc) in to same stitch,
1 treble(dc)in next,2 trebles(dc) in next...
continue row with 1 then 2 treble(dc).
join round with a slip stitch at end.

Round 3...3 chain,1 treble(dc) in same stitch,
1 treble(dc) in next, 2 trebles(dc) in next...
continue row with 1 then 2 trebles(dc).
join round with a slip stitch.

Round 4...Same as last row...

Round 5...Same as last row...

Round 6...3 chain,1 treble(dc) in next,1 treble only
in all to end. Join with a slip stitch...

Round 7...Now this row was a tad hard to remember
so forgive me if I am out...
3 chain,1 treble(dc) in base of this stitch,
1 treble(dc) in next two,2 treble(dc) in next,
follow around 1 treble(dc)-1 treble(dc)-2 treble(dc).
join with a slip stitch to end...

Last row...1 chain 1 dc(sc) in same stitch,3 chain,
miss 2 stitches,1 dc(sc) in next. Continue around
with 3 chain,miss 2 stitches,1 dc(sc) in next...

this row is a series of chain loops
I am crossing fingers that this is right...
There should have be 36 but I ended up with 34...
now with the loops I know I was 2 short...
so I just eased these in when I did my dc(sc) around the edge...
Oh well even I get thing wrong...


Wrong side(WS) of main ruffles and Wrong side (WS)
of base are put together...



Yeah it's finished and hopefully looking just perfectly ruffly
and ready to be hung up as a decoartive addition to your other potholders
or maybe it will be a practical potholder and be used on your table...
Whatever the purpose I am sure you will have it for years to come
and be part of your Grandma collection...
Be sure to add your pictures to the Grandma Tutorial group I have
on Flickr...
or let m know how you went...

25 comments:

Sônia Maria said...

Hello!
Yours work and blog are wonderful.
Hugs with affection,
Sonia Maria

Nancy at EmbroideryIt.com said...

Thank you so much for a wonderful tutorial.
Nancy

Leah said...

It looks gorgeous, thanks so much for sharing I will try this one day!

Vera Amos said...

Whoa, I was a bit OMG this is tricky but three piccys down it all became crystal, can't wait to get started.
Thanks for the fantastic tutorial.
Nickyx

Kate said...

Thanks for this wonderful tutorial Michelle! I will most definitely be making a Grandma potholder for my pot holder wall.

SIONA said...

¡Gracias! Estaba buscando agarradores de cocina,
un abrazo,
SIONA

Karin said...

Thank you for the detailed tutorial. It must have been a great amount of work.
A few weeks ago I promised someone a few crocheted potholders. I decided this morning I will use this wonderful pattern!

~X~ Karin

Fernanda said...

Lindo trabalho !!

Ray said...

Thank you so much for posting this! I have been so looking forward to giving it a go!

magnoliasntea said...

Wow! I'm totally blown away with this tutorial. It's wonderful, and thank you so much!

Country Bliss said...

Looks great can't wait to give it a go.
Yvonne x

Kimbles said...

Must try this Michelle, thank you for the tutorial,-I often wondered how those types of ruffle were done! **Kim** x

Sunitha said...

Well explained as always. Kudos to you!

Frances said...

What a generous post! I really admire your ability to create these tutorials.

Your words and pictures are very clear. It's like looking over your shoulder as you create these terrific designs.

Many thanks. I will definitely give this a go.

chocolategirl64 said...

wOoP WoOp:
its ruffely good!
can't wait to get my hook moving:

Molly said...

Michelle what a great tutorial. You always make it so understandable plus easy looking. I will really put this on my list for this weekend. Thanks so much for sharing it.

Kate/Massachusetts said...

I have always wanted to make this style of potholder but never understood how until your tutorial! Thank you for doing this! It's a great tutorial and I will definitely be making these as gifts!

GerryART said...

You have gone all out with this tutorial.
My only hope is to do justice to your Grandma's Potholder.
I'll let you know how it turns out.
Thanks again for the wonderful tutorials.
Hugs,
Gerry

yarn_lady said...

Thanks so much for the tute! I love this! hope mine turns out like yours:)

vane31 said...

Thank you for the tutorial, I have a few I purchased at an antique store and always wondered how they were made.

Dra. Ma. Elisa Picos said...

THANK YOU FOR THE WONDERFULL TUTORIAL....MARIA ELISA

Caroline said...

Wonderful tutorial....so clear!!! Can't wait to try!

Mariya said...

This idea ist amazing! I will follow your tutorial - but there are so many things I'd like to do....

Dalmazia Lodi Rizzini said...

ciao piacere di conoscerti..... che belle cose hai sul tuo blog....mi hai fatto venire voglia di provare a realizzare questa presina.....veramenete bella.... ciao dalmazia

Paula said...

Hi!

This is really great! I saw something like this in a cookbook and started searching the internet. I found your fab post, thank you so much!

Would it be possible for me to post your (I presume) pattern in Finnish in my blog (if I come up with a way to explain all the details without pics)? Ofcourse I'd post a link to your post.

This is my first non-amigurumi crochet work. ;)

Paula
www.koklaa.com